Saturday, May 31, 2014

May 19, 2014

Just another day in Heidelberg.  
Hallo Familie!  Thanks for all of the letters from this week.  Troy, there is a guy in my ward now that studied with you.  He says that you are smart and that you shouldn’t be worried about the MCAT at all.  So I think you will do just fine.  Taryn, life sounds as fun as ever.  I am jealous that you are going home this weekend.  That should be fun.  Say hi to everyone for me!  Also Sparky, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. 

As for my week…I ended up being a really good week!  On Tuesday, we went to see Cathy and Michelle and starting teaching Michelle the lessons for baptism.  I am loving it because she is just a typical ten-year-old kid.  Her question make me laugh, and it is really testing my ability to teach very, very, simply.  It is really great though.  We watched the Restoration DVD, and asked her if she believed that it was possible.  She said no, and we all just froze, until we realized that she thought that it was just fiction like every other movie.  We explained that it was just a reinaction (I think I just made up that word...) of Joseph Smith’s life.  After that, she said "Ohhh, I get it.  Ja, then of course I believe it.”  Dodged that bullet..  haha. 

Lost my keys for a day, and then
found them stuck to the bottom of
my makeup bag...they got stuck
to a magnet inside.  How does that
even happen?
We also had a really great appointment with the older couple, the Erbs.  Sister Keil came and joint taught with us, and she did an amazing job.  We taught the Restoration, and they asked a lot of really good questions, and the spirit was definitely strong.  Sister Keil shared her conversion story and how she came to know of the truth, and you could tell that they felt the spirit.  We are meeting again with them this week with Sister Keil, and so I am excited about that! 

Thursday was a really busy day.  We met with a few of our ward missionaries, and set up plans with them as to how they can help us and how we can get things started for the month of Invitation in June.  I am really grateful for them.  They all seem to be willing to help, and excited to do what they can to help us, so that is really cool.  I don’t know if I have told you this enough, but we have the best ward here.

We also had another good lesson with Kristin.  She is finally getting there.  I don’t want to get up on her because she is just SO CLOSE.  It was our last week with the Taylors there.  They are going to Utah for the summer so that Bryce can teach Religion classes at BYU, and I am bummed about it.  But for the last lesson together, it was really good.  We showed a film about Thomas S. Monson, and at the end, she said that she felt that he really was a man of God.  We started talking a lot about the Book of Mormon, and she said that she knew that the things inside brought her closer to God.  She knew that they were not wrong, and that they are good, but she wants to be certain that they are historically accurate.  That’s what she is waiting for.  Come on, Kristin!  She knows they are good, and that they testify of Christ.  I just want her to finally realize that she already knows it is true.  One day.  I know one day (hopefully sooner than later) she will be baptized. 
Sister Keil took us out to icecream after
our meeting. She is so cute!
 

On Friday, all of the BYU students had us over for lunch.  I don’t think I have realized until that appointment just how awkward I have gotten.  That was the most awkward hour on my mission—haha.  Seriously.  Just seeing them all relaxed and joking around with each other.  I didn’t know how to interact...shoot, I am in for a wake up call when I get home.  I didn’t feel comfortable again until we were outside and got on the bus and started talking to people about the Book of Mormon...  what has happened to me?  Haha. 

We also met with a potential investigator, Xinxin.  She is from China, and so the language barrier was really hard.  We introduced the Book of Mormon and she read it in Chinese.  She doesn’t have much religious background, so we have to take things really, really slowly and simply.  It amazes me that some people don’t even know who God or Christ are.  It makes me really grateful that I do.

That night, we went to see our less active, Schwestesr Breitenhuber.  She is slowly making progress.  It was a really good appointment.  She hadn’t had contact with the church in ten years, and last time, she told us that she is very grateful for us.  She said that since we had come by three weeks ago, she has felt more peace and happiness.  She said that she hopes we know that we are good missionaries.  It was really touching, and I loved seeing the subtle change taking place in her. 
The Elders at their baptism with Rochelle. 

On Saturday, we had Zone Training, and then that night, the elders had a baptism.  It was a really great baptism.  Sister Wrathall and I help Rochelle come out after she was baptized, and the smile on her face was just priceless.  She was so happy, and as we were helping her afterwards, she just said, "I’m sorry, I just feel so good, and cant stop smiling and laughing." It was a great reminder of why I am here.  To help people feel this excitement and joy that I feel on a regular basis. 

Yesterday was also a cool day!  After church, we went and taught Michelle again, and then had probably on of the best first discussions I am had with our investigator Jennifer.  She is from Africa and is just golden.  Her brother is a member somewhere else in Germany, and that is she got in contact with the church.  We watched the Restoration with her, and the whole time we were watching it, she was just smiling, and nodding and happy.  Afterwards, she said that she wanted a copy to show to her son.  We invited her to be baptized on June 14 and she said yes!  She said that she has had the Book of Mormon forever, but she has never really read it.  But after meeting with us, she said that it suddenly became really interesting, and that she is going to read in it "straight away.”  That was a really cool lesson, and I just can feel how prepared she is.

Also, something that is way cool.  Sister Schiffmann translated three of our family letters from the old German handwriting to modern German.  I have spent language study this week translating them, so I am sending them home to you today (or as many as I have time to type up.) They are really cool, and I am excited about them!  Hopefully they help. 

Well, I love you all and hope that you have a great week!   Just know, I know that this is a great work, one of miracles and power.  I am thankful every day that I can take part in it.  I wish I could tell you every single cool thing that happens on a daily basis, but there would never be enough time to do so.  Its something you just have to experience!


Love, Savannah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment