Sunday, June 22, 2014

June 9, 2014



Our Day with Vi
Hi Familie! Thank you for the birthday wishes :) It’s weird to think that I will be 20 on Friday.  No more excuses of just being a little teenager.  Sad.  But I am excited too! I haven’t gotten the package, but I am sure it will come! If that massive Christmas package was able to get through, this one will work.  Hopefully...haha.  If I get it, it will probably be after transfers, which will be next Thursday.  Speaking of which, we have transfer calls again on Saturday, so how about you all pray once more that I can stay here in Heidelberg.  Thanks! 

Mom, that training sounds very interesting!  I wish I could have seen you doing it...the image in my head made me laugh.  Dad, I am glad to hear that Trevor, our Explorer, is still a member of the family.  That would be sad if he was gone forever.  Troy, the entire internet cafe was looking at me as I read your email because I was just laughing so hard about the question story.  That is just classic! And Taryn, that slip and slide thing sounds awesome.  I want to do it when I get home.  I miss water.  It is SO HOT here.  I wake up sweating and it is just torture not being able to go swimming in the river right outside of my house! 

Anyways, I have to say thank you for all of the prayers this week.  I can say that they were definitely answered and that things are starting to look up again! The mission is just a rollercoaster of emotions, and the downs seem like nothing when you are at the top. 

Gelato2Go...the Best Eis
in the World!
The start of the week was good.  Monday for P-Day, we went up to the castle with a YSA from Mannheim.  Her name is Vi, and she is super cool.  She was baptized last year, and it was just great to talk with her all day and hang out.  The next day, we helped Cathy some more and taught Michelle again.  Since a 10 year old doesn’t really find the Book of Mormon interesting, we have been using the picture book, Book of Mormon, and reading stories from it while teaching Michelle.  Not gonna lie, I find it more interesting sometimes too.  While we were in Eppelheim, a member called us and asked to go to her neighbor’s house with her and teach her the plan of salvation.  So we went and met Frau Engel.  She is an old lady, but actually has interest.  She wouldn’t make out a return appointment, but she said that the next time we were in the area, to call her and come by.  So that was cool. 

Exciting story.  So this transfer, my mission president made a rule where from 9 to 9 we are only allowed to speak German.  (The majority of us are American, so it is just too easy to start speaking English.)  Well, on the way back from Cathy’s, my companion and I were just speaking to each other in German.  After about 10 mintues, this lady got up to get off of the train, but came over to talk to me, and asked me if I had been in Germany for a while.  I said I had been here since September, and she was like "Wow, your German is perfect! Your accent and everything…I would’ve thought you were here for a long time."  That was a pretty good boost for me :) 

Working with Sister Hull...I Love Her!
Wednesday night, I went down to Darmstadt for a split with Sister Hull.  I love Sister Hull! We had a really good day and she used me to visit some Spanish less actives, which I wont complain about. 

Friday, I was back in Heidelberg.  We met with Frau Breitenhuber, and she made big progress! While we were talking to her, she stopped us and said, "One day, you will have to show me how to get to the church.  I don’t want to go inside yet, but just so that I know where it is." Well, we took that and ran.  After our appointment, we told her we would love to show her right then.  She looked really nervous, but next thing I knew, we were on the straßenbahn to the church.  We walked around it, but she was too afraid to go inside.  But it was exciting, just seeing her there, at the church, walking around it and talking with us. 

Saturday though, was our miracle day.  We met with Dana, the lady that I met on the bus last week after being completely lost.  Turns out, about 20 members of her family live right next to each other, and they were all there when we got there, just hanging out.  There were tons of little children just running around like crazy.  We met all of them and they were all super nice! When we started to actually teach, Dana and two of her sister-in-laws wanted to sit in.  It started out a little rough, with a little bit of a language barrier and kids coming in and out, but the spirit soon took over.  We were able to have a good discussion and made out a return appointment for the next week.  One of the sister-in-laws is 15 and super legit.  She wants to even come to the young women activities! 

After that, we had an appointment with a guy named Charles.  We met him about 2 months ago, but were finally able to get an appointment with him.  He is from Africa, and extremely difficult to understand, but has an amazing testimony of Christ.  Best part, he brought another African friend with him.  We showed the restoration DVD and afterwards, they both said that they believed it was true, and that they would read in the book of Mormon and pray to know if it was truly the word of God. 

What does that mean? We found FIVE new investigators in ONE day.  Heavenly Father blessed us for sure.  That night, a firework show went off outside of our apartment.  Pretty good ending, I'd say.

And Sunday was the cherry on top.  The Spanish group is officially a Spanish branch! It was an interesting sacrament meeting.  They translated everything from German to Spanish, and it was one last big combined meeting.  And then, to make it even better, about 15 minutes after it started, Charles walked in with ANOTHER African friend.  After church we talked with them, and they said that they liked it.  His friend said that he would be there next Sunday too, so now we will be teaching 3 Africans directly after church next week. 
Our Picture of the Week...

I have definitely seen Heavenly Fathers hand in the work this week.  I feel like I was in a drought, and then all of a sudden there is just a ton of rain and plants growing.  This week is going to be great! We have a ton of appointments and Anna, a young women in our ward, is doing a mini mission with us! She will be with us all week.  It will be a great week and a great birthday! I think I will be crushed if I get transferred out of here this week. 

This morning during study, this scripture really hit me.  Alma 39:17-19. 

 17 And now I will ease your mind somewhat on this subject.  Behold, you marvel why these things should be known so long beforehand.  Behold, I say unto you, is not a soul at this time as precious unto God as a soul will be at the time of his coming?
 18 Is it not as necessary that the plan of redemption should be made known unto this people as well as unto their children?
 19 Is it not as easy at this time for the Lord to send his angel to declare these glad tidings unto us as unto our children, or as after the time of his coming?
It was just a testimony to me that God is always the same.  It never changes.  This gospel has been on the earth before and during Christ’s time, and it only makes sense that it is here now, today.  I know this is the true Church of Christ, and that I am doing his work.
I love you all! Have a great week.

Savannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment