Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 14, 2014

ARGENTINA BAYBAY!  Oh man, that is so sick that Matt Jensen is going to Argentina.  It is crazy…that means that every one of my church friends from our ward is going Spanish speaking…except for the one person that wanted to major in Spanish.  Pretty ironic, huh?  Haha!  But at least I still get to use it here.  Who would’ve thought?  But mensch, I am so excited for Matt!  He is going to love it.  I can’t wait to tell Damien’s family.  They are going to be so excited!  I’ll have to figure out what mission they used to live in.  

That is sweet that you have started playing Citadels.  I miss those P-Days in Nürnberg when we would just play.  I am excited to play with you when I get home.  Also, I haven’t gotten my package yet.  It could be at the mission home, but I don’t know.  The elders will be up in Frankfurt in the next week or two, and they will bring it back if it is there.  Isn’t that so sad that our mission president is finishing soon?  Shoot, I will miss him.  I had an interview with him this week, and it was great.  He always knows exactly what to say to make me feel better.  It will be sad not to have a native German as my president.  No one can rival President and Sister Schwartz. 

Things are going well down here in Heidelberg.  It’s been a little tough because we have had a lot of investigators say that they don’t want to meet with us anymore, so we spent a lot of time trying to find new investigators.  We called a lot of previous investigators and potentials, and were able to find two that want to meet with us this week.  We have appointments with both of them, and we are excited about that! 

I think probably the coolest thing that happened this week was that Cathy came to church!  She brought her daughter, Michelle with her!  It was the first time she has been to church in years, and es war wirklich so kühl.  Seriously.  It reminded me of the week in Nürnberg when I saw the Fosters come into church for the first time.  I cannot describe the feeling, but it is just so great.  Just seeing these people that you work with week after week finally deciding to do something.  The coolest part was that it was fast Sunday, and she went up and bore her testimony!  While she was bearing her testimony, she said that she had been praying a lot and felt like she had to start coming to church every week, and that she wanted her daughter to be baptized.  After church, we went up to the Leonhardts with Cathy and they made tacos.  We just had a good talk.  I talked to Cathy and she said that she wants Michelle to start taking the missionary lessons!  I am really excited.  We are going to start that this week.  This is something I have been waiting and praying for since I came to Heidelberg, so it is definitely a big miracle and answer to my prayers! 

We also had a really good lesson with Frau Schill.  Her daughter ended up sitting in on the lesson with us, and had a ton of questions.  Frau Schill had read Alma 40-42, which we gave her to read, and she had a ton of questions about the Spirit World and where her mom was right now.  We were able to help her understand more, and then we talked about the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Her biggest concern was that if she chose to go farther, then she would be doing it alone, so I asked her daughter if she would take the lessons with her mom.  She said would!  So we set up a return appointment, and are going to bring a Young Woman, Talea, with us, so that she can be friends with the Linda.  We are excited.

Remember how I said that the ward is great here?  I swear it has gotten even better.  It was nice to have a normal Sunday yesterday.  The bishop announced that he wants the missionaries to start going to a member’s house each day.  He has a vision where we go to a member’s house and then set up a follow up appointment and challenge them to invite a friend to be there with them.  I feel like the members are really starting to trust us, because after sacrament, I had so many members come up to me and just thank me for everything that I do, and invited us over.  They are also inviting their friends to activities and church and everything.  After my mission, I would be perfectly fine just moving here and being best friends with all of them. 

I am excited for this week!  The elders have a baptism on Saturday and I am really happy for them.  Hopefully we can get Kristin there and help her realize how badly she wants it for herself.   

Also, if there is one thing I have learned this week, it is the power of prayer.  I don’t know if I have ever prayed so hard before.  I know that God always answers them - even if I don’t like the answer.  I was reading in True to the Faith, and it was saying that sometimes God will answer with "no".  I don’t know why, but that hasn’t hit me until now.  I feel like it should be obvious, but it was kind of an "aha!" moment, that "no" is an answer, too.  God knows what I need more than I do, and sometime, even if it is a righteous desire, he will say, "No, not yet".  That stinks sometimes (well most of the time), because you all know how impatient I am (and that hasn’t changed much), but I know that there is always a reason behind everything.  While reading, I also saw something that said that God will never give us something that we can’t do by ourselves.  If we pray for something with real desire and intent, He expects us to get up and work for it, not sit around until He gives it to us.  I have definitely seen that this week.  Sister Wrathall and I have tried EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, to get new investigators.  My Heavenly Father has seen how hard we have worked, and He has blessed us.  I am so, so grateful dafür. 

I believe in a God that loves us and knows us perfectly.  I believe that He is there, and is waiting to help us.  We just need to get on our knees and talk with Him, give thanks, and ask for specific blessings. 

I love you all so much!  I am freaking out over here because I just realized two days ago that my nine-month mark is next week.  That means it’s all downhill from here, and that is just scary.  I love my mission so much, and I just want to help people feel the happiness that I feel!  Thanks for all of the prayers and support and emails! 

Gott sei mit euch bis auf wiedersehen! 

Liebe, Sister Teeples 

P.S.  The Schiffmanns have translated either 3 or 4 of the letters that you sent me, and they said that they are way cool.  She forgot to bring them to church on Sunday, so I will get them from her soon, and send that to you ...  hopefully next week!  But in the mean time, feel free to scan some more in.  They LOVED it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment